First of all, I want to use this opportunity to wish you a happy new month. January is gone and February is finally here. I hope you’re getting closer to your 2014 goals if not, you need to get to work right now because you’ve got no time at all. Stepping into today’s topic.
You see, the days of “create it and they will come” are over and if you’re still harbouring such mindset, you need to rethink and ask yourself some questions.
The competition out there today is very huge and if your contents must be noticed then, it has to be better than others and, you must also promote the heck out of it.
Now, you might be wondering and asking!
What’s The 80/20 Rule of Blogging All About?
Well, I’m sure you might have heard about that before but in case it’s still new to you, give me some time so I can lead you into the picture.
The 80/20 rule of building a blog audience implies that, you should always spend 20% of your time creating contents for your blog and then, spend the remaining 80% promoting the content. Sounds strange? I guess so :).
Recommended Reading: Guest Blogging is not Dead as Matt Cutts Declared| Here is What Died Instead
I don’t really know your own take on this statement but I agree with that. I’m sure a lot of people might have advised you to always flood your blog with contents but, In my own opinion, the secrets to creating a good audience and a loyal fan base that will always like what you do is not all about the number of contents on your blog, the main thing to create good contents and your ability to get those contents to more people across the web.
Why I agree with the 80/20 Rule of Blogging
I will like to ask you a question if I’m permitted. What use will it make if you create that interesting article and only a few people sees it whereas there are more and more people out there that can also benefit from it? It will really be a total waste of time and efforts.
So, is it not better to try and get those awesome contents you’ve already created to more people? This will eventually get you more potential fans in the long run and, I’m sure we all want new people to be discovering our contents because, if they finds it interesting too, they might also want to subscribe to our mailing list which will also be great.
I bet you that if you start looking at all the articles you’ve written on your blog before, you’ll certainly find out that there are some superb ones that didn’t get the attention they deserved and, this is because you didn’t promote it well so, why don’t you start spreading the news about them now instead of writing another one that will still get to nowhere?
Good Content Is Still and Will Always be The King!
Yes, you heard me well. Before you start thinking that I’m asking you to stop writing and start promoting, that’s not what I’m saying.
What I’m saying is that you should always spend more time promoting your posts because if not, you will only be killing their potential. But, in as much as blog posts promotion is important, no one will also notice you you exists if you don’t write good contents.
To sum it all, forget about the advice that you should flood your blog with contents because if you believe in that, you’ll only be creating mediocre contents that will get you nowhere, your blog will be filled with crappy articles that will only succeed in tarnishing your image.
However, it’s better to always research and write a “top notch” article once in a while and then, use more of your time to promote the heck out of it. Writing 4 blog posts everyday when no one will read them is of no use therefore, stop killing the potentials of those good articles and start getting them the attention they deserve.
I also have some articles I wrote before that only got little or no attention so, I will also start promoting them so as to unleash their full potential.
There are many ways to promote your contents too but, just focus on the ones that are working for you first before experimenting with other ones.
I rest my case.
I know that some of you will agree with me on this while others will likely disagree so, I will love to hear your own thoughts via the comment section and please, help me and share this post with your friends if you enjoyed it.